Saturday, July 4, 2009

Start your day off right with breakfast

Woke at 4:30 am. Been on my laptop and reading now for some time. Tummy grumbles. Two bowls of Cheerios by 6:30. I'm fueled up for the morning. We have an exciting day ahead of us.

I'm happy to see things getting checked off my ta-da list, including finding a recliner! woohoo! (picture will follow) On a whim I walked into our town's only "nicer" furniture consignment shop and there in front of my eyes was the ugliest, but only green leather recliner to be had for a reasonable $50. Within 5 minutes of walking around the store I told the sales lady I'd take it. I've truly crossed over into function versus fashion now. Luckily our plan is to just use it for a few months and sell it back!

So I've been reading Outliers for about the last week. This book was so popular at the end of the school year, I decided to finally jump on the bandwagon and check it out for the summer. I read Gladwell's Tipping Point years ago and felt I took something away from it so why not check out his latest?
Now I get to contemplate the following...the definition of success, was I born in the right decade, nature v. nurture, will I equip my kids with the necessary skills to be resilient (I hate whiners), does being Jewish have something to do with it (I'm not), you don't have to be so smart, just smart enough (Thank God), what is my IQ (I'm not a good test-taker), should I hold my kids back in Kindergarten so that they are the oldest in the grade (Paul was YOUNG is he an anomaly - well certainly he is in so many ways)?????

I'm enjoying the book. It is a fast, easy read. Leaves me thinking about things when I put it down. His style is getting formulaic, but there is some comfort in the predictability of it.

1 comment:

  1. My son was born August 17, 1996. He will be in 7th grade this coming fall. His best friend was born July 4, 1996. He will be in 8th grade this year. Guess which one has not been in trouble in school so far? Brain research is finding that boys need the extra year before formal school to mature emotionally.

    ReplyDelete