Upcycling is "The practice of taking something that is disposable and transforming it into something of greater use and value"
Elliot posing in his "new" onesie with Chicken Little (Thank you Carrie!)
As I was going through Jackie's newborn stuff I thought it was such a waste to start all over (and completely unnecessary), but did I want him sporting pink all of the time? Honestly, no. So I got the idea to try dying some of her things to see how they might turn out. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy, cheap, and fast it was to take a bunch of little girl's clothing and turn them into pretty hip little dude's stuff.
My mom and I worked hard today on purging and organizing our closet. No small task. I have clothing ranging in 3 different sizes, maternity, different seasons, borrowed - you name it! Paul on the other hand doesn't want to let anything go. He still harps on me about the running shirt I donated from the Ohio half-marathon that he did like 10 years ago. I have to tread lightly here, no pun intended. However now it is me who can't seem to part with any free fabric because I keep envisioning what I can make out of it for the kids. Here was my pile last night:
I also recently went to our local thrift store and bought some adult corduroys hoping to make them into skirts and pants for the kiddos. I picked them up at $2 bucks a pair so making them into something remains on the cheap. After going through my clothes, I'm hoping to use some of my older sweaters to make these pants this winter and some hats from the pattern in Sewing Green. Aren't they cute?

It challenges me to be as creative as I can with what I've got!As I was going through Jackie's newborn stuff I thought it was such a waste to start all over (and completely unnecessary), but did I want him sporting pink all of the time? Honestly, no. So I got the idea to try dying some of her things to see how they might turn out. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy, cheap, and fast it was to take a bunch of little girl's clothing and turn them into pretty hip little dude's stuff.
My mom and I worked hard today on purging and organizing our closet. No small task. I have clothing ranging in 3 different sizes, maternity, different seasons, borrowed - you name it! Paul on the other hand doesn't want to let anything go. He still harps on me about the running shirt I donated from the Ohio half-marathon that he did like 10 years ago. I have to tread lightly here, no pun intended. However now it is me who can't seem to part with any free fabric because I keep envisioning what I can make out of it for the kids. Here was my pile last night:


This looks like a fun site to check out for things to do with cardboard...foldschool
oh, the possibilities.
I'm glad it is summer.
I love how you're recycling! Maybe we can go for a walk or to the park someday...
ReplyDelete